Your knitting community is waiting to meet you

Join Let’s Knit Together and access a world of fantastic benefits.

Get your first month for just £1
Subcribe Save Image

June issue of Let's Knit
Magazine on sale now.

Click Here

Want access to over 2500+
knitting patterns?

How to travel to the US with your knitting and crochet

How to travel to the US with your knitting and crochet

Learn some practical tips for travelling to the USA with your knitting and crochet and get advice on how to apply for your ESTA

Sponsored content

How to travel to the US with your knitting and crochet and all about your visa

We are already in March, so it is maybe high time to start planning your summer holidays. What about visiting a nice destination in the USA? If you are planning to travel with your hooks and yarn, there are a number of things you should take into account. In this article you will find some amazing tips on how to travel with your knitting and crochet as well as other important information, such as how to apply for your ESTA.

Choose a simple project

Be realistic about whether you will have enough space and concentration, and select a knitting or crochet pattern that can be picked up and put down easily. You will probably be distracted by many things, so it is better to choose a simple pattern with easy repeats.

Pack a dedicated bag for your crochet

It is always a good idea to start your project at home and then pack everything you need (yarn, hook, needles, sewing materials…) in a small bag with multiple pockets or compartments and a snap closure. This way you will not go crazy looking for your bits and pieces and your hooks will not end up five rows back while you are on the plane.

Remember your pattern

Include a printed copy of your pattern in your project bag or make sure it is downloaded to your tablet or smartphone. Also, make sure you know how to work all the stitches involved before you leave.

Check the safety rules

If you are flying, it is important that you check the latest safety rules. Crochet hooks and knitting needles are allowed in the cabin, but you should avoid sharp scissors or very small steel hooks, as they might not pass through the security check.

Apply for your ESTA before travelling to the US

In order to travel to the United States of America, you must apply for a visa or an ESTA. You can easily apply for this travel permit online via a digital form. Once payment has been made, the ESTA will be approved and sent to you by email in approximately three days. As the ESTA will be electronically linked to your passport, there is no need to print anything out. The ESTA is valid for two years and can be used during that time for multiple trips of up to three months per visit.

Join our fantastic Instagram followers!

Follow @LetsKnitMag on Instagram and never miss out of the fun

Meet our crafts family