Yarn Shop Day: 16 days to go!
- Amy Adams
Preparations for Yarn Shop Day are gathering momentum across the country – and we’ve got all the latest gossip from your favourite local stores!
There are just over two weeks until Yarn Shop Day, and we’re brimming over with excite-ment! The nationwide campaign aims to celebrate everything that independent yarn shops do for their customers and their local area. We now have over 141 shops registered to take part, who will be holding all sorts of different events – from discounts and workshops to street fairs and puppet shows!
You can now find your nearest participating store by simply entering your postcode into our brilliant interactive map! Alternatively, you can search by county, or just take in the diverse range of shops across the country!
There are lots of exciting events taking place across the country – just look what these shops are getting up to!
Christine’s Wool Shop - Bournville, Birmingham
- Free goody bags for the first 50 customers spending over £10
- Demonstrations from toy designer Val Pierce.
- Free crochet tutorials from Kate Hulme.
- Free felt workshops from Leona of Sharkey Tee’s.
- Free knitting workshops from Dee of London Knaughty Knitters.
- Hourly discounts on products throughout the day, changing each time the bell rings!
- Free refreshments and home-baked goodies
Make sure you register for the event on Facebook!
Just Unwind – Keighley, Yorkshire
- Tea and cakes available at intervals throughout the day
- Half hour mini workshops on knitting and crochet on demand
- Meet our local suppliers and chat to the experts
- Meet local designer and Yarn Shop Day ambassador Jenny Watson
- Win a beautiful individual design by owner Joanne (as seen at Yarndale)
Threads of Life – Castle Donington, Leicestershire
- Rowan designer Marie Wallin will be appearing with copies of her new book Wind-swept
- Make me a knitted or crocheted flower for the hanging baskets outside the shop in summe
- Young knitters will be showing that “knitting’s not just for grannies”!
- A knit-along scarf for anybody who wants to knit a row or two while they are here.
- Discounts on Bergere de France, Designer Yarns, Rico and Rowan yarns and pattern books
Stash Fine Yarns – Chester, Cheshire
- Meet Andy from the Chester Wool Company, which supplies much of Britain’s un-dyed yarns to hand dyers
- Tea, coffee, cake for all, with goodie bags on a first come first served basis
- Demonstrations of finishing techniques such as mattress stitch, Kitchener stitch, stretchy cast off, Judy’s magic cast on
- Designer Louisa Harding will be appearing in the afternoon with samples from Knits from an English Rose
Who will be there?
Ambassadors will be visiting shops across the country – we are delighted to announce that Luise Roberts will be visiting Fabrications in London, while Tracy Todhunter will be appearing at Crafty Stitches in Cheshire. Meanwhile, Sachi Ishii has been blogging about her plans to visit The Fluff-a-Torium in Dorking, Surrey.
Not sure what’s happening at your local store? Pop in beforehand and find out!
Latest sign ups
We’ve had eleven new shops get involved in the last week alone! Remember to try out our interactive map for the full list!
- Think Outside the Box, Chinns Court, Market Place, Warminster. 01985 211725
- Linda’s Wools and Needlecraft, South Street, Elgin, Morayshire. 01343 542975
- Mrs T Wool, Winsford Avenue, Allesley Park, Coventry. 02476 715712
- The Harbour Gallery, Le Boulevard, St Aubin, Jersey. www.theharbourgalleryjersey.com
- Knitique, Heart of the Country Shopping Village, Swinfen, Litchfield. 01543 480979
- The Wool Stop, The Plain, Thornbury, Bristol. www.thewoolstop.co.uk
- Sew ‘n’ So Fabrics, High Street, Ryde, Isle of Wight. www.sewnsofabrics.com
- Cotswold Sewing and Knitting Machines, Lansdown, Stroud, Gloustershire. www.cotswoldsewingmachines.co.uk
- Yarn Loft, Hucknell Road, Nottingham. www.yarnloft.co.uk
- Ewe Knit 20, Colliers Walk, Nailsea, Somerset. 01275 217020
- Purl and Jane, Mount Pleasant, High Street, Skipton. purlandjane.co.uk
Knit news worth sharing!
Get the latest from Let’s Knit in your feed.